Home. A word that brings images to mind. What does the word make you think of?
Our world is full of difference. But, no matter where one lives, one thing that we all have in common is our desire for safe, reliable shelter. This shelter may take many forms: a hut, tipi, yurt, log cabin, or perhaps an apartment building in a bustling city.
This month we are talking about shelter, which many girls all over the world lack access to. Let’s take a look at an orphanage in Guatemala. Heads up, there’s a lot of bugs.
Think and Talk About
- Describe your dream house! What would it be like? Would there be trampoline floors? Giant windows? A cotton candy machine? What do you think girls in other countries would want in a dream home? How would their desires be similar? How would they be different?
- Describe your house, just like the girls in the video did. What is it like? How many rooms are in it? How many stories is it? What is your room like? How does your home compare to the homes of other girls around the world?
- What would your life be like if your home didn’t have electricity or running water? How would your day be different? What would change? What would stay the same?
- Do you feel safe in your home? Do you ever feel like you are in danger there? What would it mean if your home was no longer a safe space?
- Learn More. Grab a computer, tablet, book, or a phone, and explore what homes in other countries look like. For example, try searching “Homes in Cambodia” or “Houses in Somalia.” Find some fun images, and make a venn diagram that compares features of your home with the home you found in another country. Get creative! And don’t forget to share what you make with us! Bonus! Explore what the homes of Native Americans look like to gain an understanding of cultural differences and similarities in our own country!
- Be An Architect! Collect some spare materials. Examples may include popsicle sticks, newspaper, twigs, sticks, leaves, grass, recycled newspaper or water bottles. Using your materials, create a mini model of a home that you learned about.
- Innovate! Some girls around the world don’t have adequate resources in their homes, but YOU can help! How can we make homes around the world more sustainable? Can we harness solar energy? Wind power? What are your ideas? What are some ideas you have to ensure that all homes have access to clean water and clean energy? Create an outline for your ideas and don’t forget to share with us!
- What can YOU do today to make a difference? The answers to many challenges lie in you. What can you do to help the girls around you and the girls around the world? Give a presentation to your class? Start a conversation on social media? Host a fundraiser? Whether you do something big or small, YOU can make a difference.
Learn Even More
- Books: If You Lived Here: Houses of the World; Houses and Homes (Around the World Series)