We are all afraid of something. Every single one of us. So this month we are talking about FEAR.
People think fear is a bad thing, but actually, fear helps keep us safe. Whether it’s your heartbeat speeding up in the dark, or your hands shaking when you hear a strange sound, your body sends you signals to pay attention so you can stay safe.
But fear can also be irrational, making you afraid of things you don't need to be afraid of. Irrational fears can prevent you from being your best self and chasing your dreams.
If you want to change the world, you have to remain fearless. So we challenge you to CRUSH YOUR FEAR.
What does that mean? Watch this month's video and find out.
Think and Talk About
- What are some of your irrational fears. Heights? Spiders? Bears? What made you afraid of these things?
- What are your fears that are harder to put into words? For example, maybe you’re afraid of not fitting in or failing. How do these fears affect you?
- How can you overcome your irrational fears? What about those that are harder to explain?
- How would your life change if you were fearless?
- What is bravery?
Crush My Fear Challenge! Make a video of yourself crushing your fear that includes your name, your fear, and footage of you crushing it. (Remember to stay safe.) Then, send it to [email protected]. Or, post it to social media and tag Million Girl Army so we see it. Then, tag your friends and challenge them to crush their fears. Let's see how many people we can get involved!
Here's Ginger with a bit more about MGA's CRUSH MY FEAR CHALLENGE
(Psst! There might be a prize for the troop that gets the most people to participate.)
- Inspire. Grab a sheet of construction paper and draw a line down the middle. On one side, list all the things you’re afraid of. On the other, write ways you plan to overcome these fears. Decorate it how you like, with stickers, quotes, photos, or old magazines. Then choose one of the ways and go CRUSH YOUR FEAR.
What can YOU do today to make a difference? The answers to many challenges lie in you. What can you do to help the girls around you and the girls around the world? Give a presentation to your class? Start a conversation on social media? Host a fundraiser? Whether you do something big or small, YOU can make a difference.
Learn Even More
- Visit our CRUSH MY FEAR website. We will be adding videos of people crushing their fears all month as we receive them. Check back often and make sure to send yours in to: [email protected]
- For some inspiration, check out these brave people from the 2016 People Are Awesome video. Just remember to stay safe!
Great Books about Fearless Girls:
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry: A story about a girl surviving the Holocaust.
Warriors Don't Cry: A memoir of one of the first black girls to integrate into a historically white school.